Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Real Birthers

WND published a commentary I wrote, "The real birthers," as an exclusive on April 15. The editors at WND made one significant edit to what I submitted. I have no problem with the edit since they have a right to do so, just as editors at newspapers used to do when people submitted letters-to-the-editor. You can read the entire commentary at WND but I'm going to reprint the first paragraph here--with the inclusion of the sentence the WND editors removed ("The question of where he was born is irrelevant at this point."). I'm reprinting my original paragraph here because I think it changes the tone of the entire commentary.

There really shouldn’t be any controversy with saying that the president of the United States should demonstrate that he is eligible to hold office. Therefore, there shouldn’t be any debate over whether President Obama need provide his original, long-form birth certificate. The question of where he was born is irrelevant at this point. I had to provide my birth certificate when I enlisted in the Army. I provided it when applying for a driver’s license. And everyone else can name instances where they have had to provide their birth certificate as well. Is the Army an irrational birther institution? Is the DMV? What about any other institution that requires a birth certificate? No. In fact, such questions would have been deemed irrational prior to President Obama. So it seems ridiculous to mock those who now want the president to provide this simple piece of documentation. Nevertheless, let’s accept for the moment that asking for birth verification is the height of irrationality . . . and from this point we will see who the true birthers are.

No comments:

Post a Comment